Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fast-forward to Córdoba: 5/27 and 5/28 - La Mezquita, Carmen Gastroflamenco

At last, I learned something of flamenco - both educationally and experientially. Now I know that to say I saw a flamenco show is like saying I saw a rock music show [edit 2017/06/12 to clarify: because there are many, many styles of flamenco!].

Córdoba is home to a small, yet extremely fun and informative multimedia flamenco museum, Centro Flamenco Fosforito. It is also home, as are all the southern Spanish cities I am visiting, to a hell of a lot of flamenco venues. On the recommendation of my host there, I attended a show at Carmen Gastroflamenco which, in my ignorant yet impressed opinion, was well worth every euro.

First, some virtuoso solos by the guitarist. Then, some duets between the guitarist and one singer. Then the guitarist and two singers (both were fantastic, by the way). Then the guitarist, two singers, and a female dancer (it goes without saying that she impressed me as well, but here I am saying it anyway). After this, the guitarist, two singers, and a male dancer who I am pretty sure is a perpetual motion machine, who danced with such passion that I think my own forehead was flinging sweat around the room. Finally, the woman returned to the stage and we were all treated to an ever-cresting crescendo of passion and artistry that seemed to involve a bit of a jam session, wherein the performers seemed to smile and cajole one another even as they continued to play, sing, and dance. The five performers took turns in a constant variety of combinations before bringing everyone to their feet to clap along with the rhythm. My heart was soaring as I departed.




  

Córdoba is dense with treasures, such as its centuries-old city walls, numerous Roman ruins, a brilliant archaeological museum, and of course La Mezquita. While I hate to give short shrift to such a marvelous city, I can only apply so many descriptors of transcendence to so many monumental, historic edifices. Instead, i will just leave a few of my favorite pictures of La Mezquita, and one of the Puente Romano.





I want to make a special note here, in case you do not know the history of La Mezquita: there is a Christian chapel in the center of the mosque. More cultural tug-of-war!



No comments:

Post a Comment