Friday, June 2, 2017

Last night in Spain

I'm slowly processing the fact that this is my last night in España! I am already thinking about how to make another visit in the future (also, deseo a aprender mas Español to make my next visit more enriching...my grammar is probably off with the verbs, there).

For the last three days I have been in Barcelona. After cities like Sevilla, Córdoba, y Granada, this has definitely been a sensory shift. Barcelona is very modern, very urban. It seems a little...busier? More no-nonsense? Definitely much noisier. It is nice in its own way, but I think my affection is stronger for the other cities I visited.

Tomorrow, I depart for Milan and begin the next phase of my adventure. Here, I really go out on a limb because I know exactly two words of Italian (ciao and grazi). The language barrier is about to get a bit thicker. However, I am eager to learn and discover.

Milan, Italy's center of business and fashion, does not particularly interest me in its own right. I mean, it does host Da Vinci's The Last Supper, but it appears to cost 25-30 Euro to look at for 20 minutes. No, my main interest in Milan is its proximity to the Lakes, and in particular Lago Maggiore and Lago Como (I think I am more drawn to Maggiore because my guidebook doesn't shut up about how much George Clooney likes Lago Como. I mean, I like George Clooney but heaven help me if I visit a place just because actors like it).

As I bid España farewell for now, I reflect on all the lovely people who have hosted me. I will need to make time to do some anonymized personal profiles, because these intimate meetings have been a very special part of the experience so far.

For now, I bid you all good night (or, well, happy afternoon, maybe).

3 comments:

  1. You're a true TM in both speech and writing. Reading about your adventures is so great. Safe travels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's the gift of travelling alone, all that intimacy!

    ReplyDelete