Thursday, June 29, 2017

Stardust (words for the people I have met)

Anything I say will barely hold a candle to the light that has glowed upon me during my travels. I must try, though, so here is the shard of mirror that I hold up to their lamps (thanks to M.H. Abrams for the metaphor)


Writing this post poses dilemmas, since I feel bound to protect the identities of all of these people just as much as I do my own. Additionally, I have not asked anyone if I can write about them, so rather than composing detailed profiles, I am going to follow the metaphor of stardust and scatter glimmers instead.


Hopefully this honors all of them in some, small way.


Young woman in Madrid at the metro station, who was the very first person to help me. (Sí, this is the right train. Sí, it goes to the city center.) Muchas gracias for starting me out well!


Fellow hunter of purpose, love, and the richness of shared life. Undefeated, transformed, ever growing and investigating and sharing. A keen student of the human soul, you could write the sort of tour guide the world needs more of.


Though we did not speak much, I appreciate your hospitality and the use of your lovely home. I wish you all the best.


Home full of her own, beautiful art. Completing a master’s degree in Art History. We never stop flowering.


The host I never met, who showed concern and compassion at my struggles that night. Bless you.


Chocolatier, husband, and father. Gracious and gentle. “Don’t worry.”


Loves the safety of her city, and that she never needs to worry when her daughters go out at night. Thank you for telling me a wonderful place from which to view the sights of a wonderful city.


Can speak 5 languages, has visited twice as many countries, played universal translator at a 12 hour wedding celebration with guests from even more places than that. Passionate about his country.


Another young woman, of unknown origin but maybe British, who momentarily adopted me when my itinerary was falling down around my ears. We did not defeat the local train schedule, but you helped calm my nerves. The unfathomable kindness of strangers - thank you.


Busy professional who still had time to check with me each day. Praise I surely did not deserve for my broken attempts to speak your language. A warm heart.


The dear, determined, gentle soul I met on the train - you had just finished trekking 400 kilometers of trail, and you celebrated in fine fashion at the end by singing Frank Sinatra’s song, “My Way.” At least, you sang the words you knew: “I did it my way,” which is the part that matters. I salute you, and I celebrate the loving warmth you displayed during that ride, even though just minutes before boarding your wallet had been stolen (and thankfully returned, with passport although without money, by kind strangers). Your way is that of love, and I wish you endless blessings for it. Thank you for the kiss and the well-wishes when we parted.


Irrepressible smiles and generosity. I hope that as you are who you are, others will learn to be who they are, and that we will all grow and love more as a result. The idea of a world filled by people like you thrills me.


Life is what it is, in a nutshell. Who is the lion, and who is the gazelle? Indeed, my friend, everyone gets a turn - just keep living and doing what you can. I am sure that there will be quite a few surprises and reversals as the story of humanity continues to fold and unfold, with its constant wrinkling and overturning. I enjoyed your sense of humor, your serene philosophy, and watching The Hobbit with you (and I agree, why doesn’t Galadriel solve every problem?).


Entire staff of an airport restaurant - you went to such great pains to find me food I could eat, and always smiling. Your kindness was tremendous on an otherwise challenging day. A million thanks.


I am sorry for your woes and frustrations. Do not worry for a moment about being negative. I would have a hard time smiling too, if my car had been stolen and the authorities were not only doing nothing about it, but had actually found the car and were sending me parking tickets instead of returning the car. I hope that this trial ends soon, and well, for you.


Boyfriend and girlfriend, the passion and generosity of youth. Your favorite show is Two and a Half Men? With an honest smile on my face, I can say: to each their own. I loved sharing dinner and teaching one another language.


Friends who took me out on the town and shared a meal. If you were reading my blog, you would know that my stomach has, as the saying goes, become a way to my heart, and I loved my time with you as we moved from food to a slow stroll and conversation about the myths and traditions of your land. We shared feelings on topics ranging from insecurity to job troubles to the meaning of life. I hope to return and find you again, and speak with you in your own tongue this time.


To think that I would be talking to a TV director, who was inviting me into his home and apologizing that he could not offer me more to eat. I regret how hard this worldwide financial crisis has been on so many people. I hope that you are able to return to your passion soon. In the meantime, I am touched by your warmth and grace.

Great and understandable enthusiasm for your homeland, and for art, especially that of family. Such a beautiful chest your family member made! I felt that energy inhabit me and accompany me on my visit. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment